A free programme for schools to address homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying
We offer a free comprehensive HBT anti-bullying programme for primary and secondary schools.
- Is your school confident in responding to and preventing HBT Bullying?
- Would you like support to create an inclusive school environment which truly celebrates, includes and understands diversity?
We all have a role in preventing and responding to bullying. HBT bullying is common in primary and secondary schools, through the use of language, physical assault and isolation – all of which have a disproportionate impact upon LGBTQ young people’s mental health and wellbeing. This has resulted in disengagement from school, 52% of LGBTQ young people self-harming and 42% considering suicide (METRO's National Youth Chances research).
Participating schools benefit from a free support package, funded by the Government Equalities Office in collaboration with the Department for Education, which can include student support, workshops, resources and staff training.
All schools will be offered staff training in sexual orientation, gender identity, alternative families, tackling HBT bullying and ways to be inclusive of sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) in your curriculum subjects.
Aims of the programme
- To reduce the incidence of HBT bullying in primary and secondary schools by changing the culture of how schools respond to HBT bullying in a sustainable way
- To effectively respond to HBT bullying when it does occur
- To create an inclusive school environment for ALL pupils, staff and families
- To increase staff confidence in preventing and tackling HBT bullying
METRO will work with your school to achieve these goals by ensuring
- More teachers and non-teaching staff feel confident, supported and capable preventing and tackling HBT bullying
- More pupils report that they feel confident in reporting HBT bullying, feel more resilient towards bullying, and feel their school is inclusive towards LGBT pupils and families
- Staff, pupils and parents/guardians are engaged, empowered and motivated to reduce HBT bullying
- More schools have policies and curricula targeted at preventing and tackling HBT bullying
For METRO to be your partner for this free project you must be a primary or secondary school in Greenwich, Bexley, Bromley, Lambeth, Southwark, Lewisham, Croydon, Kent, Medway or Surrey.
The programme is now full, however if you would like to join our waiting list please register below.
You can contact the schools team by email or by phone on 020 8305 5000.